Thursday 15 November 2018
Local Board Office
Upper Harbour Local Board
OPEN MINUTE ITEM ATTACHMENTS
14 Auckland Regional Services Trust grants process and criteria
24 Board Members' reports - November 2018
15 November 2018
9 November 2018
Upper Harbour Local Board
Auckland Regional Services Trust Funding
Zella Morrison - Strategic Broker, Upper Harbour Local Board
1. To provide the Upper Harbour Local Board with the option to allocate the Auckland Regional Services Trust (ARST) funding of $55,650 to the Ngāti Manuhiri Settlement Trust (NMST).
· On 13 December 2017 the Upper Harbour Local Board signed a Relationship Agreement with the Ngāti Manuhiri Settlement Trust. This agreement is to strengthen and build a meaningful relationship between Auckland Council, the Upper Harbour Local Board and the Ngāti Manuhiri Settlement Trust.
· There is an opportunity for the Upper Harbour Local Board to consider allocating the Auckland Regional Services Trust (ARST) funding of $55,650 to the Ngāti Manuhiri Settlement Trust (NMST) to develop a public art installation, or several public art installations, in the Albany area that will tell the stories of Ngāti Manuhiri iwi.
· This will enhance the Relationship Agreement by developing an enduring working relationship between the Upper Harbour Local Board and the NMST.
· The NMST responded positively at a workshop with the Upper Harbour Local Board on Thursday 8 November 2018 and have provided a letter of interest, which is attached to this memo.
2. The Upper Harbour Local Board and Ngāti Manuhiri Settlement Trust have been working together to strengthen their relationship. This was acknowledged by both parties signing a Relationship Agreement on 13 December 2017.
3. The purpose of the Agreement is to provide a mechanism for the parties to acknowledge the customary rights and interests of Ngāti Manuhiri iwi and the role of Auckland Council in Tāmaki Makaurau, which includes the Upper Harbour Local Board. The Agreement specifically states various ways to enhance the agreement such as developing a positive and enduring working relationship, to enable the parties to work together to advance mutually agreed outcomes including mana whenua cultural and commercial aspirations, to share information, to communicate and prioritise objectives around annual Local Board and Ngāti Manuhiri plans and to provide a framework for resourcing and support for mana whenua where projects can be undertaken.
4. The ARST funding of $55,650 is a potential source of funding that could be applied to implement some of the purposes of the Relationship Agreement.
5. A workshop was held on Thursday 8 November 2018 between the Upper Harbour Local Board and NMST to gage interest from both parties to develop Ngāti Manuhiri iwi stories in the Albany area using the ARST funding.
6. The NMST outlined their current involvement with various agencies including Auckland Transport and Transpower NZ. This indicated the level of activity that NMST were involved with in the local board area and the significant contribution they were making to ensure that community interests were considered and appropriate iwi consultation was provided.
7. The NMST welcomed the opportunity to work closely with the Upper Harbour Local Board to identify sites of significant cultural interest in Albany, and to create public art installations that would highlight Ngāti Manuhiri iwi stories. A letter from the Ngāti Manuhiri Settlement Trust is attached to this memo, which indicates interest from the NMST to work with the Local Board on this initiative.
8. It was mutually agreed that both parties wanted to take a co-operative, supportive, positive and proactive approach and to make good ideas happen.
9. The Upper Harbour Local Board will be considering the allocation of the ARST funding via a report on its 15 November business meeting agenda. It is recommended that the Local Board consider allocating the ARST budget of $55,650 in principle to the Ngāti Manuhiri Settlement Trust to develop cultural markers and public art installations that are relevant to Ngāti Manuhiri iwi stories in the Albany area.
10. Assuming that the Local Board allocates the ARST funding to NMST as recommended in this memo, the Ngāti Manuhiri Settlement Trust would then provide the Upper Harbour Local Board with suggested draft visual concepts, narratives, landmarks and costs for proposed art installations by the end of February / early March 2019. It is envisaged that these proposals would be discussed with the Local Board through workshops or discussions as required in the first quarter of next year.
11. Once the proposal(s) have been agreed between the Upper Harbour Local Board and NMST, a formal report would be presented to the Local Board to finalise the concepts (and to grant any landowner approvals as may be required) by the end of April 2019, with physical works envisaged to be implemented by the 30 June 2019.
Letter of Interest from Ngāti Manuhiri Settlement Trust.